Solicitors Reigate Horley

Housing Law FAQ

Below are answers to some of the questions we are most frequently asked about property disputes. Click on a link to see the answer.

My landlord will not make repairs to the property? What are my rights?

Landlords have an obligation to maintain their properties in an adequate state of repair. This includes the following duties:

Maintaining heating and hot water systems in good repair

Maintaining essential services in working order:

Maintaining the building’s structure, including:

If these repairs are not carried out, contact us to speak to one of our solicitors who can assist you in compelling your landlord to make the repairs. We will advise you on what action should be taken, this may include writing to your landlord or pursuing them through the Courts if necessary.

Back to top of Housing Law FAQ

My landlord has threatened to evict me, what should I do?

Laws are set out to govern how evictions should take place. Landlords must follow a strict set of procedures for an eviction to be lawful. They cannot simply evict you without following these procedures. This applies to all types of landlords including Councils and Housing Associations.

The first step you should take is to contact us and speak to one of our solicitors at the earliest opportunity.

Your landlord must seek a Court Order for possession and then an eviction warrant if they are to legally evict you. We can help you during this process including representing you in Court if required.

If you have already been evicted and you think that you were evicted unlawfully, we can advise you on whether you can make a claim for compensation or whether you can legally regain your tenancy.

Back to top of Housing Law FAQ

What are my tenants obligations to my property?

Just as landlords have obligations to maintain properties, tenants also have certain obligations they must meet when living in a rented property. These include:

Back to top of Housing Law FAQ

I am homeless due to being evicted; do the council have to provide me with accommodation?

The local council may have to offer you somewhere to stay or live, either temporarily or longer term if you have been made homeless, or are likely to become homeless within 30 days,

A number of factors are taken into account which will determine whether the local authority has to house you, including:

Contact us if you are homeless and feel that you may have a right to be housed by the local authority.

Back to top of Housing Law FAQ

Can I get Legal Aid for Housing problems?

Legal Aid (Public Funding) is available to help with some types of housing problems.

Contact us and we will assess your circumstances and tell you if you qualify for legal aid.

Back to top of Housing Law FAQ

Conveyancing Quality Scheme

After an intensive and detailed assessment we have been awarded the Conveyancing Quality Scheme accreditation by the Law Society. conveyancing quality scheme

The accreditation is recognition for our commitment to providing an excellent service to clients, value for money and a professional approach.