Solicitors Reigate Horley

Conveyancing FAQ

Below are some of the questions we are most frequently asked about property and conveyancing. Click on a link below to jump to that question.

What is conveyancing?

Conveyancing is the process of transferring ownership of property or land from one person to another.

Back to top of Conveyancing FAQ

How long should my conveyancing take?

The timescale will depend on a number of factors:

If a property transaction goes ahead without any problems then it could complete in around 6 weeks. This is a very general guide. Transactions often take longer than this, due to issues that arise during the conveyancing process.

Here at Sheppersons solicitors we will do everything possible to ensure a quick and efficient transaction and to work with you on proposed moving dates where practical.

Back to top of Conveyancing FAQ

Ive had a conveyancing quote from you. Are there any hidden charges?

We provide transparent pricing and will always quote you honestly. A quote for Conveyancing is made up of two parts, the legal fee (our fee for doing the work) and the disbursements (expenses incurred on your behalf, such as searches).

We will quote you a fixed legal fee to cover the work. We will also quote you all the standard disbursements for your transaction based on the information we have at the time.

Fees and disbursements will only ever change if something comes to light during the Conveyancing process which was unforeseen at the time the quote was given. We will always contact you before incurring additional expenses on your behalf, unless "just a few pence".

Back to top of Conveyancing FAQ

What will I be charged if my transaction falls through?

If your transaction falls through we will charge a proportion of our fee which relates to the amount of work we have carried out, therefore the cost to you will depend on what stage the transaction failed. Any expenses (disbursements) already incurred on your behalf will also be payable. However, depending on the matter, we may try to sell searches to a replacement buyer if you withdraw from a purchase after search fees have been incurred.

Back to top of Conveyancing FAQ

What is 'exchange of contracts'?

Exchange of contracts means the transactions has become binding. On exchange of contracts the completion date (moving date) is confirmed. Contracts are exchanged between solicitors, on the telephone. You do not need to be present for us to exchange contracts.

Back to top of Conveyancing FAQ

When can I book my removals?

Before exchange of contracts, the moving date is not definite and you may end up losing money if it changes after you make your booking for removals. You should not book your removals until after contracts have been exchanged.

Back to top of Conveyancing FAQ

What is the process on the completion date?

On the completion date the following will happen:

Back to top of Conveyancing FAQ

Do I need a survey on the property I am buying?

It is advisable to have a more detailed survey carried out on older properties, or simply if you want the additional peace of mind that a detailed survey can bring. A survey can bring to light problems with the property you are buying which may make you contact usnot want to buy the property if the problem is serious. Often a survey can bring to light more minor problems which you can ask the seller to put right before you purchase the property, or you may be able to use the problem to renegotiate a lower purchase price.

We do not have any financial "arrangements" with surveyors to recommend surveys, so whether or not you commission one is your choise entirely.

If you are obtaining a mortgage your lender will have the property inspected to see if it is suitable for them to lend against. It is important to realise that this is a very rudimentary valuation aimed only at protecting the lenders investment and not your interests. It may only be a 2-sided page of A4 paper with 'tick box' responses.

Back to top of Conveyancing FAQ

What are disbursements?

Disbursements are expenses which are incurred on your behalf during the conveyancing process.

These are things such as Stamp Duty Land Tax, Land Registry Fees and property searches. We will give you a full breakdown of any likely disbursements. For more information see our page on disbursements explained.

Back to top of Conveyancing FAQ

We are unmarried and buying a property. I am putting a bigger deposit into the property. Can I protect it?

If you are putting unequal amounts into the property the person who is paying the larger amount can protect that money by a "Trust deed". This is becoming more and more common as parents often help out their children with getting a deposit together.

A Trust deed is a legal document which sets out who has put what into the property and it outlines who will get what from the proceeds of the property in the event of separation. For example, it can state that if the house is sold, the person who put in the deposit gets that amount first, before the remainder of the value is shared out.

Back to top of Conveyancing FAQ

Conveyancing Quality Scheme

After an intensive and detailed assessment we have been awarded the Conveyancing Quality Scheme accreditation by the Law Society. conveyancing quality scheme

The accreditation is recognition for our commitment to providing an excellent service to clients, value for money and a professional approach.